Thursday, May 3, 2007

Recommendation Letter

Can you do a recommendation letter for us?

Sure, that would be easy to do!!

My sister in law (and very good friend) and her husband are in the process of adopting from the Ukraine. They have already adopted three children from Russia and are truely a blessing to our family.

Do you know what it is like to write a recommendation letter for a family member?

Please, don't get me wrong - I highly recommend them to adopt again. I think they are absolutely wonderful parents - but...

I have written numerous recommendation letters as a high school teacher. They have been for scholarships, colleges, jobs, etc. In the big scheme of things - how important were these letters? Oh they were important, sure, but did they determine life? Most likely not...

Back to the recommendation letter - what if I write something that is not quite right? What if one little word was interpreted wrong? What if what I meant to write didn't come out like it should have?

What if my letter hurts their chances of adopting again? Ruin their chances of being parents again and ruin the chance for a precious little child to have loving parents.

UUGGHH. If I don't write the letter, who will? If I do write the letter, will it be ok?

My sister in law and brother in law are wonderful people. They deeply love their children and each other. And of course, they will be just as wonderful with their new child. But how do you convey that to the Ukraine government?

So went my day on Tuesday. I pray my words will speak to their hearts. I pray my letter will be exactly what they are looking for because I know these two people are exactly what God is looking for in parents!!

3 comments:

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

I'm sure you will write a beautiful recommendation and your words will more than touch the heart of whomever is reading it. Write from the heart, sweet girl. :)

Tami said...

Okaaaaay. Now you've made me cry! You did a beautiful job on the letter! You don't have a single thing to worry about. Love you!

Suzanne said...

I think you stress how stable they are. How they manage their finances and parent their other children wisely. How they are careful decision makers and have a large circle of supportive friends and families.

Does that help?

Congrats on your new blog, btw.

Suzanne